Best Brush for Goldendoodle: Pro Grooming at Home!

As an owner of two beautiful Goldendoodles, Mika and Kila for the past six years, I truly understand how important it is to keep their coats healthy and feeling great. That’s why I’ve compiled a comprehensive guide on the best brush for Goldendoodles and the proper brush technique.

Table of Contents

[1] Introduction

[2] Pro Tips for Grooming Goldendoodle

[3] 5 Top Best Brush for Goldendoodle

[4] Top 5 Best Brush for Goldendoodle Comparison

[5] Grooming Technique for Goldendoodle

[6] Conclusion

Best Brush for Goldendoodle’s Beautiful Coat

In this guide, you will find pro tips for grooming your Goldendoodle and a list of the top 5 best brushes for their coat type based on my daily experience looking after them. My favorite dog groomer approves each recommended brush, and I have also tested various brushes for the best result.

Additionally, I will walk you through a step-by-step grooming technique that will help keep your furry friend looking their best. Following these tips and using the right tools ensures your Goldendoodle’s coat stays healthy, shiny, and tangle-free. So, let’s get started!

Pro Tips for Grooming Goldendoodle’s Coat

Goldendoodles have beautiful coats that require regular grooming to keep them healthy and looking their best. Before we go for the tips, you must identify your Goldendoodle’s coat type. They have several coat types, often classified as low to non-shedding. Coat types can have a significant impact on how to brush and take care of the coat. These are the primary varieties of Goldendoodle fur:

• Straight Coat : Goldendoodles with a straight coat have inherited the non-curl gene from each parent. The fur is fluffier in texture and thus requires extra frequent brushing.
  • Wavy or Shaggy Coat : This is the most common Goldendoodle coat type, also sometimes called fleece coat. Wavy coat Goldendoodles take one non-curl gene from one parent dog and one non-curl gene from the other.
  • Curly Coat : A Goldendoodle with a curly coat would have inherited the curly gene or trait from its parents.
  • Flat Coat : Also known as an “improper coat,” flat-coated Goldendoodles don’t have furnishings, so they tend to look more like a Golden Retriever. These dogs are moderate to high shedders and must be brushed regularly.

Here are some pro tips for grooming your Goldendoodle’s coat:

1. Brush your Goldendoodle’s coat regularly: This is the most essential part of grooming your Goldendoodle. Regularly brushing your Goldendoodle’s fur helps prevent matting and tangling, keeping their coat glossy and healthy.
  2. Use a slicker brush: A slicker brush is the best brush on a Goldendoodle’s coat. It is gentle on their skin and helps remove tangles or mats.
  3. Use a metal comb: Once you have brushed your Goldendoodle’s coat with a slicker brush, use a metal comb to eliminate any remaining tangles or mats.
  4. Trim their coat regularly: Goldendoodles have fur that grows continuously, so they must be groomed periodically to keep their coat neat. Take them to a professional groomer every few months, or learn to do it yourself.
  5. Use a detangling spray: If your Goldendoodle’s coat is particularly tangled or matted, use a detangling spray to help loosen the knots before brushing.
  6. Goldendoodle grooming challenges: Goldendoodles have a fluffy coat that easily tangles and mats. Grooming can be challenging due to potential skin allergies, and their thick coat requires much time and effort.

Remember to reward your Goldendoodle with treats and praise for good behavior during grooming sessions. With these pro tips, you can keep your Goldendoodle’s coat looking healthy and beautiful.

Top Best Brush for Goldendoodle

Please note that this list of best brushes for Goldendoodles is based on my experience and testing for the past six years of caring for my beloved two Goldendoodles. These top 5 brushes are my favorite for their affordability, easiness of untangling curls, and time taken to brush two of my Goldendoodles.

I work in the healthcare industry and have limited time to care for my Goldendoodles. I prefer a brush that can do the job quickly but does an excellent job maintaining their coat.

Each brush has unique features, pros, and cons, so let’s explore the brushes that have been helping me thus far.

[1] We Love Doodles Dog Slicker Brush

Buy We Love Doodles Dog Slicker Brush on Amazon

My groomers highly recommend this brush, so I tried it several times, and I like the ergonomics and durability. I bought one three years ago, and I still can use it today, but the performance has dropped a bit, so I bought a new one last year.

My Goldendoodles have quite a heavy coat, and this brush has been excellent for removing tangles. It can go more profound compared to my other slicker brushes. Please remember that this brush is unsuitable for Goldendoodles, as it has a short coat and can scratch the skin and cause minor bleeding.

This brush is trendy on Amazon, with approximately 3,000 monthly purchases and an average rating of 4.4; you can’t go wrong with this brush.

Pros:

• Long Tines: The brush features pins that are 50% longer, reaching deeply into the coat to eliminate knots and tangles.
  • Comfortable Handle Grip: The ergonomic handle on the brush is very comfortable to grip.
  • Highly Effective: It’s incredibly effective at removing tangles and mats.
  • Versatile: It can be used on all dog breeds and is perfect for medium to long-haired dogs.
  • Recommended by Professionals: It’s recommended by both veterinarians and professional pet groomers.

Cons:

• Removing hair from the brush: Removing fur from the brush can be challenging without a comb.
  • Not as Effective on Short Hair: The brush works better on short hair.

[2] Paw Brothers Extra Long Pin Flat Slicker Brush

Buy Paw Brothers Extra Long Pin Flat Slicker Brush for Dogs on Amazon

This brush is cheap but works very well. For a tag price of below $20, this brush has been perfect in quality and performance. In regards to quality, it is made with fair-quality plastic, but it won’t last for 2 to 3 years if you have more than one Goldendoodle. The price is worth it, and I would highly recommend this brush.

The handle is more excellent than most of the slicker brushes I have tried so far. It has very grippy rubber bits on the handle, which help hold the brush firmly without slipping. I like the handle; the traction is excellent so I can brush the coat, especially against it, without any problem. The handle also has a grip on top of the handle, which allows me to position my thumb to change the brushing angle without losing traction.

I have been using it for about two years, and it is still holding up, but some slicker pins came out of place. So, I am satisfied with this brush’s performance for the price.

Pros:

• Rounded corners: Provide gentle corners for skin safety during brushing
  • Effective at penetrating deep into the coat: The more prominent and extra-long pins are designed to penetrate deep into the fur, removing dirt, debris, and loose hair from the undercoat.
  • Versatile: Well suited for medium to large dogs.
  • Ergonomic handle: Promotes a natural hand position, reducing fatigue and the risk of repetitive motion injury.
  • Affordable and highly effective: Priced at only $17, this brush can perform very well.

Cons:

• Difficulty cleaning the pins: After use, you need time and effort to remove the fur from the brush pin.
  • Detached pins: Slicker pins may become detached after a specific time
  • Designed for right-handed users: Not suitable for left-handed users.
  • Large and long pins may be unsuitable for smaller dog breeds.

[3] Chris Christensen Big G Dog Slicker Brush for Dogs

Buy Chris Christensen Big G Dog Slicker Brush for Dogs on Amazon

This brush is the most effortless and superior slicker brush I’ve ever experienced. Many are initially skeptical, including me, to spend about $70 for a single slicker brush. I tried this brush after everyone talked about this Chris Christensen slicker brush in my local Goldendoodles group, and after I tried it, I was shocked at how easy it was to brush my dog.

It takes half the time to brush my dogs compared to using other slicker brushes I have at home. The build quality is superb, and the slicker pins are sturdy but gentle to the skin. My Goldendoodles are comfortable using this brush and don’t whine or act up.

Pros:

1. Engineered slicker pins: the bristles are generously long and flexible, with a strategic angle and meticulously ground tips to prevent any irritation to your dog, as the company proudly advertises.
  2. Highly ergonomics: Holding the brush is a delight due to its exceptional comfort and ergonomic design, featuring a generously sized and well-shaped handle.
  3. Excellent brushing performance: Not only does it effortlessly navigate through my Goldendoodle’s thick, fluffy coat, but it does so without causing them any discomfort.
  4. Gentle Slicker: the brush is gentle on the skin, with non-sharp teeth that glide without scraping, even in sensitive areas.
  5. Easy to clean: It is easy to clean and more accessible than any other slicker brushes I have tried.

Cons:

1. Designed for curly fur: Some users reported it might need to work more effectively on Doodles with longer, straighter hair.
  2. High price: A few users found the brush to be on the pricier side.

[4] Hertzko Dog Mat Remover

Buy Hertzko Dog Mat Remover on Amazon

I have bought several dog grooming products from Hertzko, such as the shedding brush and fur rake. From my experience, the products from Hertzko are made from high-quality material and can last a very long time compared to other brands. The price of their products, including the Hertzko Dog Mat Remover, is very affordable.

It cost only $11.49 on Amazon, and I have been using this for almost three years now. This is not exactly a brush but more of a tool to remove highly tangled or matted fur at specific parts of my Goldendoodles, especially near the neck and belly area.

The brush size is relatively small for a large dog, so it only suits a specific part of my dog. I usually use the slicker brush for bruising all over the dog coat as it covers more area in less time than this Hertzko Dog Mat Remover.

It has a 10-tooth design equipped with sharp interior blades to cut through matted or tangled fur without pulling too much, so there is less pain or irritation for the Goldendoodles. Based on my experience, I have no issue using this brush on my Goldendoodles, and it is effective in removing tangled fur, which the slicker brush cannot solve. Please note that Hertzko Dog Mat Remover is only suitable for right-handed people as it can be difficult for left-handed people to use it correctly.

Pros

1. Effective for rugged, heavy fur: Removing stubborn tangles or matted coats is effective and time-saving.
  2. Gentle on pets: It has curved outer edges to protect the user’s hands and your dog from irritation or cuts.
  3. Great for removing mats: Proven to remove matted coats on Goldendoodles in a short amount of time.
  4. Easy to use: The grip is very comfortable and clean.

Cons

1. Be careful: Blades are very sharp and dangerous if not thorough.
  2. Not suitable for: May not be gentle enough for older or sensitive pets
  3. Not ideal for left-handed users: It could be more comfortable to hold and use in certain situations for left-handed users.

[5] The Doodle Brush Double Head Slicker Brush

Buy The Doodle Brush Double Head Slicker Brush on Amazon

This brush has to be the most unique design of all the slicker brushes I own. Labradoodle experts primarily design this brush for doodles with long, medium, curly, and wavy fur. This brush is unsuitable for doodles with short or flat fur as it can irritate the skin due to the long slicker pin.

It has two separate flexible heads where all the slicker pins are attached. The flexible heads’ purpose is to make sure when brushing, the force you put on the brush is not excessive, and the heads will follow the dog’s body shape to maximize the brushing area.

It is priced around $55 on Amazon, and most users are pleased with the brush. Some even said this brush is better than the Chris Christensen Big G Dog Slicker Brush . Chris Christensen’s brush is slightly better, and it takes less time to brush my Goldendoodles, but the doodle brush is still excellent and cheaper.

In regards to gentleness, The Doodle Brush outperforms Chris Christensen’s brush. The double heads help to reduce the pulling when using my Goldendoodle. They are more relaxed when brushed with The Doodle Brush than Chris Christensen’s brush.

Pros

1. Highly effective: Effective at brushing doodles with thick coats and reducing time by almost half compared to regular slicker brush.
  2. Very gentle: The double-head design minimizes excessive pulling, so the dogs enjoy being brushed with this tool.
  3. Less grooming: Reduces grooming appointment needs
  4. Safe: Works well on sensitive areas like faces.

Cons

1. Expensive: The price is on the higher side
  2. Hassle to clean: Could be improved in terms of ease of cleaning
  3. Scratchy : The slicker pins are made from uncoated metal, so some dogs may not like the sound of the pins on their skin

Top 5 Best Brush for Goldendoodle Comparison

As you can see in the table above, Chris Christensen’s Big G Dog Slicker Brush has the highest score, followed by The Doodle Brush Double Head Slicker Brush. Both brushes have helped me to reduce brushing time to half if I use other brushes, as mentioned above.

Like I said before, I work in healthcare, so I have limited time to take care of my Goldendoodles. So, I prefer a brush that can do the job fast and efficiently. I have also reduced my visits to groomers from monthly to once every two months. If you calculate the cost of the brush versus the cost of professional grooming, it is a brainer you should get Chris Christensen’s Big G Dog Slicker Brush.

If you are concerned about the price, I recommend buying the Paw Brothers Extra Long Pin Slicker Brush. This brush is cheap but made with high-quality material, and it can do the job very well, but it takes a bit longer.

Techniques for Grooming Goldendoodle

Grooming a Goldendoodle is an essential aspect of caring for this beloved breed. Their doodle coat requires regular maintenance to keep it healthy and free from mats. Here is a comprehensive guide on grooming techniques for Goldendoodles:

Brushing and Combing

Regular brushing is crucial for Goldendoodles to prevent matting and tangles. Use a slicker brush to fluff the outer coat and a steel comb to detangle and remove mats. Brushing should be done at least three times a week, with daily brushing ideal for preventing matting. Be mindful of regions likely to tangle, like behind the ears, under the legs, and around the tail.

Tools Needed:

• To groom a Goldendoodle effectively, gather the necessary tools: Dog Clippers with a detachable blade
  • Clipper Comb Extension Set
  • Steel Comb
  • Scissors (blunt-tipped for safety)
  • Thinning Shears
  • Shampoo, Conditioner, and Detangler
  • Towels
  • Leash or restraint to keep the dog still

Haircut Styles

Goldendoodle haircuts are not one-size-fits-all. Each dog may require a different style based on their coat type and appearance preferences. It may take a few grooming sessions to determine the best haircut for your Goldendoodle. Some popular styles include long ears, short ears, and various body trims.

Face and Eye Grooming

Trimming the hair around the eyes is essential to prevent vision obstruction. Thinning shears are recommended for this delicate area to achieve a natural look. Additionally, use blunt-tipped scissors for precision and safety when trimming facial hair.

Sanitary Clip

Goldendoodles tend to get unkempt in certain areas faster than others. A sanitary clip involves trimming the hair around the genital and anal areas to maintain cleanliness and hygiene. Regular upkeep of these areas is essential for the dog’s comfort and health.

DIY Grooming

Some Goldendoodle owners opt for DIY grooming to save costs and bond with their pets. While professional grooming is recommended for intricate cuts, essential maintenance like brushing, trimming, and sanitary clips can be done at home with the right tools and techniques.

Conclusion

In conclusion, grooming a Goldendoodle requires patience, the right tools, and regular maintenance. By following proper brushing techniques, using the correct tools, and understanding the unique grooming needs of Goldendoodles, you can keep your furry friend looking and feeling their best